Server's Corner

Accessing Your Criminal Records

Accessing Your Criminal Records

Criminal records can follow you for a long time and stay linked to your name. It could stem from something you did years ago. However, if an employer runs a background check, it will likely show no matter how old it is. Fortunately, you have legal ways to check your records if you are curious about what yours says about you. Here is what to do.

Getting a Copy

There are various options for obtaining a copy of your criminal record. Both federal and state law enforcement keep copies of records in a database. The local police department may have your records, so you can begin by asking them. If they do not have state records, your state bureau of investigations, FBI, or state police are good sources to check.

Fixing Errors

Sometimes, criminal records could contain errors. For example, a public intoxication incident could be listed as a DUI, or the convictions of another person with the same name or similar name could get on your record by mistake. Having even a small error in your record can impact your future. You can usually request that the errors be fixed by sending a letter to the correct department.

Expunging Records

If you maintained a clear record for several years, you could request to have your record sealed or expunged. Some sealed records can still be accessed by other law enforcement agencies or certain occupations or situations that require background checks, though. For example, obtaining a gun permit, immigration, or lawyers getting admitted to the bar would be able to view the records. Otherwise, you do not have to admit you have a record, because it will not be available to the general public.

Most people are not aware they can get these records at no charge or for a small fee. Even so, many do not have the time or want to take the time to investigate obtaining their records. If this is the case for you, then Roland Investigations can help. Roland Investigations can use their many years of experience to help you locate and organize any records or documents you need. Give us a call today to get started!

By Roland Investigations 8-27-2020



To send us an email 24/7,
fill out our form.

Mail all documents to:
1660 S Albion Street, Suite 826
Denver, CO 80222